What is flower?
Flower, bud, weed, marijuana… whatever you call it, this is cannabis in its most common form. Flower refers to the bud of the female plant, trimmed, dried, weighed and packaged for sale. This is what you buy and what gets you high.
One of the advantages of flower is the variety of strains you have to choose from, offering the best medical marijuana selection. There are two general types, indica and sativa, which are often bred together to create hybrids with properties of both.
- Indica: Indica strains are known for a heavy body high and what is known as “couch lock.” Because these potent strains are so good at relaxing the user, they are a popular choice for treating chronic pain, insomnia and anxiety. Their high levels of CBD make them favorite choices for treating many other conditions as well.
- Sativa: Sativa strains are known for being invigorating and uplifting, making them perfect for treating conditions such as depression. These strains may also be used to help boost motivation and/or creativity, or to treat medical conditions without the sleepy effects of many indica strains. Be careful not to overdo it, though, as sativa strains can cause anxiety and paranoia.
How to Buy Flower
Flower is available in a variety of ways. Depending on where you shop, loose flower comes in a few standard sizes: a gram, an eighth (of an ounce), a quarter, a half or a full ounce. The amount you buy will depend on how much you need to treat your condition, but the best prices for cannabis flower will be achieved when you buy more at one time.
Some dispensaries also sell flower in pre-rolled joints. This is useful for those who can’t easily roll a joint themselves due to their condition.
How to Medicate
Flower is used for good, old-fashioned, tried-and-true smoking. You can smoke flower one of a few different ways:
- Rolling a joint is probably the cheapest option, since rolling papers are inexpensive.
- A blunt uses more expensive tobacco paper, but the interaction with the tobacco paper makes for a harder hit.
- Smoking from a glass pipe is easier for those whose pain or other issues prevent them from effectively rolling a joint or blunt.
- Smoking from a bong or bubbler will help prevent throat irritation. The water cools the smoke before it reaches your throat, reducing the burning sensation.
Feel free to browse our Education Center for more information, or visit Desert Rose Dispensary today to chat with one of our experienced staff and browse our extensive menu of medical marijuana. Be sure to visit our specials page as well for the best dispensary deals in Phoenix!